Total = 184 out of 197, 13 to go
Europe = 45 out of 45
- Been to (45) – Albania, Andorra, Austria, Belarus, Belgium, Bosnia, Bulgaria, Croatia, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Ireland, Italy, Kosovo, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Macedonia, Malta, Moldova, Monaco, Montenegro, Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Russia, San Marino, Serbia, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, Ukraine, UK, Vatican
Oceania = 14 OUT OF 14
- Been to (14) – Australia, Fiji, Kiribati, Marshall Islands, Micronesia, Nauru, New Zealand, Palau, Papua New Guinea, Samoa, Solomon Islands, Tonga, Tuvalu, Vanuatu
Americas = 34 OUT OF 35
- Been to (34) – Antigua and Barbuda, Argentina, Bahamas, Barbados, Belize, Bolivia, Brazil, Canada, Chile, Colombia, Costa Rica, Cuba, Dominica, Dominican Republic, Ecuador, El Salvador, Grenada, Guatemala, Guyana, Haiti, Honduras, Jamaica, Mexico, Nicaragua, Panama, Peru, St Kitts and Nevis, St Lucia, St Vincent and Grenadines, Suriname, Trinidad and Tobago, USA, Uruguay, Venezuela
- Booked for the next 12 months (1) – Paraguay
Asia = 46 out of 49
- Been to (46) – Armenia, Azerbaijan, Bahrain, Bangladesh, Bhutan, Brunei, Cambodia, China, Taiwan, Cyprus, Georgia, India, Indonesia, Iran, Iraq, Israel, Japan, Jordan, Kazakhstan, Korea, Kuwait, Kyrgyzstan, Laos, Lebanon, Malaysia, Maldives, Mongolia, Myanmar, Nepal, North Korea, Oman, Pakistan, Palestine, Philippines, Qatar, Singapore, Sri Lanka, Syria, Tajikistan, Thailand, Timor-Leste, Turkey, Turkmenistan, UAE, Uzbekistan, Vietnam
- Booked for the next 12 months (1) – Afghanistan,
- Still to get to (2) – Saudi Arabia, Yemen
africa = 45 OUT OF 54
- Been to (45) – Algeria, Benin, Botswana, Burkina Faso, Burundi, Cameroon, Cape Verde, Comoros, Congo, Cote d’Ivoire, Djibouti, DRC, Egypt, Equatorial Guinea, Eritrea, Ethiopia, Gabon, Gambia, Ghana, Guinea, Guinea Bissau, Kenya, Liberia, Madagascar, Malawi, Mali, Mauritius, Morocco, Mozambique, Namibia, Nigeria, Rwanda, Senegal, Sierra Leone, Somalia, South Africa, South Sudan, Sudan, Swaziland, Tanzania, Togo, Tunisia, Uganda, Zambia, Zimbabwe
- Booked for the next 12 months (9) – Angola, Central African Republic, Chad, Lesotho, Libya, Mauritania, Niger, Sao Tome and Principe, Seychelles,
Note, I have defined my list as the 193 UN sovereign states, plus Taiwan, Palestine, the Vatican and Kosovo for 197. I am considering adding Iraqi Kurdistan, Tibet and Somaliland to the list also, as plan on visiting them also and am hopeful they will be independent countries at some point.
I have read/heard multiple debates about what is the ‘right’ list of “every country in the world”. Different definitions included the obvious list of the 193 UN sovereign states, or only countries attached to continents (ruling out Polynesia), or only countries with their own currency (ruling out Tuvalu and Nauru for e.g, and arguably much of Europe), or countries that have control of their own government (including eg Somaliland and Transnistria) . As far as I am concerned everyone gets to make up their own list and pursue it however they like.
Likewise I have heard multiple arguments about what constitutes a country visit. For me, I want to have a memorable experience, and that typically means staying a while or visiting more than once. However, sometimes I only have a limited amount of time and don’t think there is much to see in a country so will just stay a few days. For some travellers a ‘visit’ includes transiting through an airport. This is entirely their prerogative and not for me to judge, but it doesn’t meet my criteria. Travelling the world is not an exam, I am not be graded on the outcome. So I get to decide where I want to go and whether it is a visit and so does every other traveller.