Total = 197 out of 197,
Asia = 49 out of 49
- Been to (49) – Afghanistan, Armenia, Azerbaijan, Bahrain, Bangladesh, Bhutan, Brunei, Cambodia, China, Taiwan, Cyprus, Georgia, India, Indonesia, Iran, Iraq, Israel, Japan, Jordan, Kazakhstan, Korea, Kuwait, Kyrgyzstan, Laos, Lebanon, Malaysia, Maldives, Mongolia, Myanmar, Nepal, North Korea, Oman, Pakistan, Palestine, Philippines, Qatar, Singapore, Sri Lanka, Syria, Tajikistan, Thailand, Timor-Leste, Turkey, Turkmenistan, UAE, Uzbekistan, Vietnam, Yemen
africa = 54 out of 54
- Been to (54) – Algeria, Angola, Benin, Botswana, Burkina Faso, Burundi, Cameroon, Cape Verde, Central African Republic, Chad, Comoros, Congo, Cote d’Ivoire, Djibouti, DRC, Egypt, Equatorial Guinea, Eritrea, Ethiopia, Gabon, Gambia, Ghana, Guinea, Guinea Bissau, Kenya, Lesotho, Liberia, Libya, Madagascar, Malawi, Mali, Mauritania, Mauritius, Morocco, Mozambique, Namibia, Niger, Nigeria, Rwanda, Sao Tome and Principe, Senegal, Seychelles, Sierra Leone, Somalia, South Africa, South Sudan, Sudan, Swaziland, Tanzania, Togo, Tunisia, Uganda, Zambia, Zimbabwe
Europe = 45 out of 45
- Been to (45) – Albania, Andorra, Austria, Belarus, Belgium, Bosnia, Bulgaria, Croatia, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Ireland, Italy, Kosovo, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Macedonia, Malta, Moldova, Monaco, Montenegro, Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Russia, San Marino, Serbia, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, Ukraine, UK, Vatican
Oceania = 14 OUT OF 14
- Been to (14) – Australia, Fiji, Kiribati, Marshall Islands, Micronesia, Nauru, New Zealand, Palau, Papua New Guinea, Samoa, Solomon Islands, Tonga, Tuvalu, Vanuatu
Americas = 35 OUT OF 35
- Been to (35) – Antigua and Barbuda, Argentina, Bahamas, Barbados, Belize, Bolivia, Brazil, Canada, Chile, Colombia, Costa Rica, Cuba, Dominica, Dominican Republic, Ecuador, El Salvador, Grenada, Guatemala, Guyana, Haiti, Honduras, Jamaica, Mexico, Nicaragua, Panama, Paraguay, Peru, St Kitts and Nevis, St Lucia, St Vincent and Grenadines, Suriname, Trinidad and Tobago, USA, Uruguay, Venezuela
Note, I have defined my list as the 193 UN sovereign states, plus the Vatican, Palestine (as UN observers), Taiwan and Kosovo for 197.
I have read/heard multiple debates about what is the ‘right’ list of “every country in the world”. Different definitions included the obvious list of the 193 UN sovereign states, or only countries attached to continents (ruling out Polynesia), or only countries with their own currency (ruling out Tuvalu and Nauru for e.g, and arguably much of Europe), or countries that have control of their own government (including eg Somaliland and Transnistria) . As far as I am concerned everyone gets to make up their own list and pursue it however they like. For more info, check out https://worldview.stratfor.com/article/how-many-countries-are-there-world-2018
Likewise I have heard multiple arguments about what constitutes a country visit. For me, I want to have a memorable experience, and that typically means staying a while or visiting more than once. However, sometimes I only have a limited amount of time and don’t think there is much to see in a country so will just stay a few days or a night. For some travellers a ‘visit’ includes transiting through an airport. This is entirely their prerogative and not for me to judge, but it doesn’t meet my criteria (or the criteria of Gunnar Garfors). I get to decide where I want to go and whether it is a visit and so does every other traveller.